☻ Mallorca has a huge trail network: some of the trails were built during the time of the Arabs (902-1229), other trails cross the forests to places where charcoal was produced, others lead to inaccessible places on the coast. These were built by tobacco- smugglers around 1920 or for the watchtowers against pirates (built in the 16th century). Around Valldemossa the Austrian Archduke Lluis Salvador also built panoramic trails.
☻ A big problem is private trails being closed. However recently, the Departament de Medi Ambient (the dry-stone wall building college) and the GEM (Majorcan mountain club) have opened and signposted a wide range of "lost" or overgrown trails.
→ The estate was closed for hikers since 1995. The municipality of Pollença has been fighting for the right of access. They are some limits: 20 persons a day and they need a permit. The Castell del Rei is closed but you can reach the cove of Cala Castell.
- For more information: www.ajpollenca.net (the page is written in catalan. The webmaster of "www.mallorca-camins.info" has sent in january 2012 the english translations to the Pollença townhall. Mid march wasn't yet updated)
☻92% of the mountain range "Serra de Tramuntana" is private property. Free access is only possible on public land and on public trails. And even in these, some owners don´t recognize free access and apply to the courts to close public trails.
- Banyalbufar- Estellencs: It´s a public trail and part of the trail GR 221 which crosses the island. Since 2001 there has been a sign on the gate of Es Rafal. You could open the gate and cross the land. At the end of 2006, the courts declared that they owner could close the trail. At the beginning of 2007 it was closed. The government is dealing with this case and will try to open the trail again.+ Information. Since 2009, there is a deviation.
- S´Arrom- Es Cornadors
- Puig des Teix: all footpaths to the summit are closed (from Coll de Sóller, Valldemossa) + Information
- The direct trail between Es Verger and Castell d'Alaró is closed
- The hike "Around the Puig Roig": open only on Sundays.
►Trails with problems
- Binis- "Camí des Cingles" : It is a public trail but the owner has put up signs forbidding entry.
- Massanella: It is the second highest mountain of Mallorca. Since February 1996, if you take the normal route, you must pay 6 € (2013).
- In the recent years, the Balearic Government has bought land (Albarca, S´Alqueria Vella) in the northeast, in the north (Son Real) and in the southwest (Coma d'en Vidal, Galatzó und Planícia) and several trails has been signposted
- The GEM (Majorcan mountain club) has organised clearing an overgrown trail every year sine 1997 (Sa Costera, the trail between Estellencs and Banyalbufar, the one between Esporles and Port des Canonge)
- The dry stone wall building college is responsible for renovating public trails. They are working on the trail GR 221 which is going to cross the island from Port d'Andratx to Pollença. Other trails where they have worked are: Castell d´Alaró, the trail from Esporles to Banyalbufar, the trail from Deià to Sóller, the Barranc de Biniaraix, the trail to Puig de Maria near Pollença, the old trails from Caimari to Lluc and from here to Pollença. From 2004 the Department of Environment of the Mallorca Council has overtaken the functions of the college.
- Smugglers were very active in the coastal region around Puig Roig (northwest of Lluc) . You can still see one former police station, "Quarter des Carabiners"